Wednesday 12 June 2013

Trust is Missing

A man named Jack was walking along a steep hill one day. He accidentally got too close to the edge of the cliff and fell. On the way down he grabbed a branch, which temporarily stopped his fall. He looked down and to his horror he saw that the canyon fell straight down for a thousand feet. He couldn’t hang on to the branch forever and there was no way for him to climb the steep wall of the cliff. So Jack began to yelling for help, hoping that someone passing by would hear him and lower a rope or something. “Help! Help! is anyone up there? Help!” He yelled for hours, but no one heard him. He was about give up when he heard a voice.

“Jack, Jack can you hear me?”
“Yes, yes I can hear you. I am down here.”
“I can see you, Jack. Are you alright?”
“Yes, but… Who are you and where are you?”
“I am the Lord Jack. I am everywhere.”
“The Lord? You mean GOD?”
“That’s Me.”
“God, please help me! I promise if you will get me down from here I will stop sinning. I will really be a good person. I will serve for the rest of life.”
“Easy on the promises, Jack. Let’s just get you down from there; then we can talk. Now here’s what I want you to do. Listen carefully.
“I’ll do anything Lord. Just tell me what to do.”
“Okay let go off the branch.”
“What?”
“I said let go off the branch.”
“What?”
“I said let go off the branch. Just trust me. Let go.”

There was a long silence. Finally Jack yelled, “Help! Help! IS ANYONE ELSE UP THERE?”


1 comment:

  1. I love this story. Very insightful about the human resistance to surrender. Maybe we humans don't understand what surrender truly means, maybe that's why Jack resisted the Lord's advice.

    ReplyDelete